The League of Pipers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The League of Pipers

All about Pipes, Tobacco, Places to buy

You are not connected. Please login or register

This Week's Mail Bombs.

+10
Roadsdiverged
PhantomWolf
10Furlongs
Cramptholomew
McWiggins
Chico
Baboo
ColonelBusch
Dramatwist
JimInks
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

26This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:56 pm

10Furlongs

10Furlongs

Cramptholomew wrote:Where do you guys get this stuff? Pipestud?

Pipestud does a good business.

I can't match the stuff Jim or Drama have smoked but I have a closet full of unobtanium. I've probably sold even more and it's been a lot of fun.

There were some nuggets on EBay seven or eight years ago but those days are long passed now.  

What exactly is it you're chasing?

27This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:27 am

Baboo

Baboo

RightOh, Jimbo!!! Thanks again for the head's up and pointing the way 👌✔🕊

I'm still chasing original Irish Condor Plugs, Erinmore Plugs, original pre-2001 Ogden's St. Bruno, pre-1990's Bell's Three Nuns (VaPer), and Motzek Strang rolls. Always a fun hunt for treasure!

28This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Dramatwist

Dramatwist

Bon chance, Baboo!

29This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:39 pm

Baboo

Baboo

Merci, DT!👌🕊

30This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:10 pm

Cramptholomew

Cramptholomew

10Furlongs wrote:

I can't match the stuff Jim or Drama have smoked but I have a closet full of unobtanium. I've probably sold even more and it's been a lot of fun.

There were some nuggets on EBay seven or eight years ago but those days are long passed now.  

I don't know yet! When I see.it, I might know. I just like to try everything. I missed the McClelland boat by a month, since I started smoking a pipe again in late January 2018, and by the time I knew what was what, it was all gone. I'm not chasing that stuff though, it was just an example. I guess just older tins of stuff, where I can experience some real age with. The Capstan from 2013 was a good example. Wolfman sent me a small taste of 2012 Sunday Picnic that was fantastic.

There's also pipesandtins.com, that two guys recently started up. I've been on the fence of buying some stuff there. I'm not sure where prices should be, but they seem fair.

31This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:33 pm

Dramatwist

Dramatwist

Cramptholomew wrote:
10Furlongs wrote:

I don't know yet! When I see.it, I might know. I just like to try everything. I missed the McClelland boat by a month, since I started smoking a pipe again in late January 2018, and by the time I knew what was what, it was all gone. I'm not chasing that stuff though, it was just an example. I guess just older tins of stuff, where I can experience some real age with. The Capstan from 2013 was a good example. Wolfman sent me a small taste of 2012 Sunday Picnic that was fantastic.

There's also pipesandtins.com, that two guys recently started up. I've been on the fence of buying some stuff there. I'm not sure where prices should be, but they seem fair.

...it's difficult to know how to proceed when choosing old tobaccos to try... since I've been smoking a pipe for so long, I remember the blends that I truly loved that are now gone, and with that experience it's easy... if you've taken up the pipe relatively recently, you have to rely on the opinions of us old codgers, making sure the old codgers understand what you like so far...

...JimInks is a reliable resource because he has the unique ability to articulate in plain language what he tastes when he evaluates a tobacco blend...

32This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:50 pm

Cramptholomew

Cramptholomew

Red Virginia, bright Virginias, Vapers, vaburpers, lighter burleys, heavy lat, light lat, heavy orientals. I run the gamut. There have been only a few tobaccos I haven't liked enough to smoke a 3rd bowl. That said, I gravitate towards Sam G, Watch City, Rattray's, G&H, the Sutliff matches, MacB HH series, the newer Sutliff Virginias and the English #1 cake. Arango, John Cotton's #1. It's extremely hard to pick out what's really stood out for me. Margate, Dunbar, Tilbury, ASTB, Marlin Flake, Red Rapparee, Black Mallory, etc. But, then I really like Carter Hall, and Half & Half, and Pegasus, and a whole host of other stuff. Black Frigate, Bijou, Mad Fiddler, anything drenched in booze... It's a hard prospect to know what I want when I like everything. Hahaha. Oh, and the older Capstan stuff I had, and the Jack Knife Plug from 2014. I like most Pease blends a lot too.

33This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:57 pm

Dramatwist

Dramatwist

Cramptholomew wrote:Red Virginia, bright Virginias, Vapers, vaburpers, lighter burleys, heavy lat, light lat, heavy orientals. I run the gamut. There have been only a few tobaccos I haven't liked enough to smoke a 3rd bowl. That said, I gravitate towards Sam G, Watch City, Rattray's, G&H, the Sutliff matches, MacB HH series, the newer Sutliff Virginias and the English #1 cake. Arango, John Cotton's #1. It's extremely hard to pick out what's really stood out for me. Margate, Dunbar, Tilbury, ASTB, Marlin Flake, Red Rapparee, Black Mallory, etc. But, then I really like Carter Hall, and Half & Half, and Pegasus, and a whole host of other stuff. Black Frigate, Bijou, Mad Fiddler, anything drenched in booze... It's a hard prospect to know what I want when I like everything. Hahaha. Oh, and the older Capstan stuff I had, and the Jack Knife Plug from 2014. I like most Pease blends a lot too.

...you have a pretty broad palate, buddy (as I do) so it can be hard to target old blends... especially at some of those prices!

34This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:03 pm

Cramptholomew

Cramptholomew

Dramatwist wrote:
Cramptholomew wrote:Red Virginia, bright Virginias, Vapers, vaburpers, lighter burleys, heavy lat, light lat, heavy orientals. I run the gamut. There have been only a few tobaccos I haven't liked enough to smoke a 3rd bowl. That said, I gravitate towards Sam G, Watch City, Rattray's, G&H, the Sutliff matches, MacB HH series, the newer Sutliff Virginias and the English #1 cake. Arango, John Cotton's #1. It's extremely hard to pick out what's really stood out for me. Margate, Dunbar, Tilbury, ASTB, Marlin Flake, Red Rapparee, Black Mallory, etc. But, then I really like Carter Hall, and Half & Half, and Pegasus, and a whole host of other stuff. Black Frigate, Bijou, Mad Fiddler, anything drenched in booze... It's a hard prospect to know what I want when I like everything. Hahaha. Oh, and the older Capstan stuff I had, and the Jack Knife Plug from 2014. I like most Pease blends a lot too.

...you have a pretty broad palate, buddy (as I do) so it can be hard to target old blends... especially at some of those prices!
Exactly. $50 for an old blend I could potentially think is "meh", ain't worth it. But, I don't think I'd be unimpressed with some old Edgeworth or St. Bruno, or that kind of thing. I also don't have the luxury/curse of nostalgia for the old stuff. One day all the stuff *I* smoke will be the "old stuff". "Remember when you could get pound of LBF for $30? Pepperidge Farm remembers..."

35This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:21 pm

Dramatwist

Dramatwist

Cramptholomew wrote:
Dramatwist wrote:

Exactly. $50 for an old blend I could potentially think is "meh", ain't worth it. But, I don't think I'd be unimpressed with some old Edgeworth or St. Bruno, or that kind of thing. I also don't have the luxury/curse of nostalgia for the old stuff. One day all the stuff *I* smoke will be the "old stuff". "Remember when you could get pound of LBF for $30? Pepperidge Farm remembers..."

...I just recently paid $40 for a 7oz can of tobacco from the 1960s that has a K-Mart price sticker on it... $1.98... frome Pipestud...

36This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:24 am

10Furlongs

10Furlongs

Some of the prices for the aged stuff are off the charts. If you ever get a chance to snag any, just about any vintage of McClelland's Christmas Cheer is a special treat for red Va hounds.

37This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:46 pm

Dramatwist

Dramatwist

10Furlongs wrote:Some of the prices for the aged stuff are off the charts. If you ever get a chance to snag any, just about any vintage of McClelland's Christmas Cheer is a special treat for red Va hounds.

Indeed, Mark. I have a number of sealed tins of various years in the cellar. Working on 2013 right now.

38This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:29 pm

JimInks

JimInks

Got a couple sample packs of MacNaren Solent Mixture and F&T Cut Blended Plug. Never tried the latter until today. Tasty tobacco, it is.

39This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:06 pm

Cramptholomew

Cramptholomew

Some German swirled Ebonite, a nice big Horn blank, 2 ebauchons, a 1/6" side cutting bit, a 1/6" collet. Exciting, huh?

40This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 pm

JimInks

JimInks

Got this today: a 1970s seven ounce tin of Burley London Blend, a 70s pack of Edgeworth Cavendish Brown, and these samples:
The Country Squire Northwest Trek
The Country Squire Shepard’s Pie
The Country Squire Cornishman
The Country Squire Cherokee
The Country Squire Bag End
Germain's 1820
Esoterica Brighton and Peacehaven
McClelland Pebblecut

41This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:07 pm

PhantomWolf

PhantomWolf

JimInks wrote:Got this today: a 1970s seven ounce tin of Burley London Blend, a 70s pack of Edgeworth Cavendish Brown, and these samples:
The Country Squire Northwest Trek
The Country Squire Shepard’s Pie
The Country Squire Cornishman
The Country Squire Cherokee
The Country Squire Bag End
Germain's 1820
Esoterica Brighton and Peacehaven
McClelland Pebblecut

Looking forward to your thoughts on the TCS blends, Jim. 

Once I showed some patience and let my Bag End and Green Dragon spend some time breathing and dry a bit, I ended up with a couple of smokes I really enjoyed.   And their site is so nicely put together, I am certain to pay them another visit in the future.

42This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:22 pm

PhantomWolf

PhantomWolf

I went a little tobacco crazy this month.  I guess it's forgivable, since the 5th was my birthday and I haven't splurged on tobak for some months. 

-8oz JustForHim: Bombadil (They would do well to hire the same programmer as Country Squire to build their site haha)

-5 tins Solani: ABF
-4 tins Sansepolcro
-2 tins C&D:Penny Farthing
-1 tin Stonhenge Flake
-1 tin Sixpence( Hope it's more interesting without the Moon) Very Happy  Sorry Maugham fans
-1 tin Ten Russians
-1 tin Stimulus Package
-1 pouch of Prince Albert

43This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:05 pm

JimInks

JimInks

Free samples received today: 70's Holland House Mild Golden Cavendish, 60's Edgeworth Slices, Wilke #515, Wilke High Hat, Wilke #5, Wilke #176, Wilke #44, and Wilke #78.

44This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:43 am

Roadsdiverged

Roadsdiverged

Packages are out for Jason, Scott and Randy.

Incoming today:
Another pound of Voodoo Queen
Another pound of 515 RC
Another pound of Newminster Blackberry Brandy (8oz for Walt)

45This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:56 pm

Cramptholomew

Cramptholomew

Like ∆∆∆

46This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:03 pm

Roadsdiverged

Roadsdiverged

Jason, you'll get another one a few days after the first. The envelopes that I had were too small to get the other stuff in.

47This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:56 pm

Scott W.

Scott W.

Just received a very nice sampler of baccy from Josh
He sent some:

Voodoo Queen
Bayou Night
RD mix

I’m taking these away on vacation this weekend and will hopefully get to sample all three.

Thanks a ton my friend!!

48This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Roadsdiverged

Roadsdiverged

You're very welcome

49This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:06 pm

JimInks

JimInks

Received samples from a couple of friends: 1970s VaPer Three Nuns, 2004 Buckland Curlies, 2003 McClelland 2015, and four ounces of Watch City Off the Rails.

50This Week's Mail Bombs. - Page 2 Empty Re: This Week's Mail Bombs. Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:25 pm

Walkman

Walkman

Many thanks to Josh for the samples of Voodoo Queen, Bayou Evening, and your RD mix. Much appreciated!

I have a few tins of Peterson Irish Flake and 3 P's in the mail from 4 Noggins and SP, respectively.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum