The League of Pipers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The League of Pipers

All about Pipes, Tobacco, Places to buy

You are not connected. Please login or register

Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Empty Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Thu May 30, 2019 2:26 am

JimInks

JimInks

Ray Kinstler started out at age 16 as a comic book artist in the 1940s and '50s, then drew illustrations for many magazines including The Shadow and Doc Savage pulps, eventually rising through the art world to be one of the America's most famous portrait painters. He painted every President from Nixon to Trump (before he was President) with the exception of Barack Obama, and those of Ford and Reagan became the official White House portraits . He painted many famous people, including John Wayne, James Cagney, Clint Eastwood, Carol Burnett, Katherine Hepburn, and Gregory Peck. He painted two Supreme Court Justices.

I interviewed him for Alter Ego magazine about his comic book career, and we became friends from that time on. He was funny, very witty, amazingly brilliant, and loved to chat. I never heard him brag. He told me about being nervous when he was asked to do the official portrait of John Wayne. Wayne regaled Ray with stories about his life and movie career while being painted. Cagney, who was generally shy in private, did much the same. "You can't believe how intimidating it was to paint your heroes", he once told me.

I had long admired and respected Ray, and being friends with him only heightened that feeling. Rest in peace, old friend.

2Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Empty Re: Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Thu May 30, 2019 7:38 am

Dramatwist

Dramatwist

...sorry to read this, Jim... another good one gone...

3Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Empty Re: Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Thu May 30, 2019 4:28 pm

Cramptholomew

Cramptholomew

My condolences, Jim.

4Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Empty Re: Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Thu May 30, 2019 5:42 pm

ColonelBusch

ColonelBusch
Admin

Sad news. Admired his work

5Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Empty Re: Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Thu May 30, 2019 5:55 pm

ColonelBusch

ColonelBusch
Admin

Fascinating story. Mentioning Flagg comes into my sphere as I collect antiquated magazines, hopefully illustrated

6Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Empty Re: Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Fri May 31, 2019 9:27 pm

PhantomWolf

PhantomWolf

JimInks wrote:
"You can't believe how intimidating it was to paint your heroes", he once told me."

I think the closest thing I can relate to would be drawing a chick I liked.  You want to flatter them a litttle, of course, but also capture who they are and manage to stay genuine.  Nerve-racking, though I don't think I would have worried had I had a fraction of this man's talent.  

7Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Empty Re: Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:12 am

JimInks

JimInks

PhantomWolf wrote:
JimInks wrote:
"You can't believe how intimidating it was to paint your heroes", he once told me."

I think the closest thing I can relate to would be drawing a chick I liked.  You want to flatter them a litttle, of course, but also capture who they are and manage to stay genuine.  Nerve-racking, though I don't think I would have worried had I had a fraction of this man's talent.  

I've drawn several girl friends and m'lady, of course. In my college days, that attribute came in handy. Very Happy

8Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Empty Re: Everett Raymond Kinstler, RIP. Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:08 am

PhantomWolf

PhantomWolf

JimInks wrote:
PhantomWolf wrote:
JimInks wrote:

I've drawn several girl friends and m'lady, of course. In my college days, that attribute came in handy. Very Happy

Hahaha  Certainly did.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum