The League of Pipers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The League of Pipers

All about Pipes, Tobacco, Places to buy

You are not connected. Please login or register

Critical Thinking on Post Sous Vide non-torching

+2
JimInks
ColonelBusch
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ColonelBusch

ColonelBusch
Admin

Cooking Chicken Tenders and Pastrami (From Restaurant Depot, Jim). I put it in and raised the temp after I cooked a gigantic chuck roast in the water bath. Was big enough that Xuan and I could not finish. Instead of flame, I preheated the air-fryer and dumped the roast in for five minutes. It was not as glossy as would be with a flame, but it took on a deep brown matte finish... and tasted sublime. This is a lot cheaper than using a torch, I believe.

JimInks

JimInks

Sounds delicious. I'll be right over!

Dramatwist

Dramatwist

...save some for me...

Cramptholomew

Cramptholomew

Next, use some meat glue!

Transglutaminase (Meat Glue) - RM Formula - 50g/2oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EIGV7MC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mFj7Cb42BDDMF

ColonelBusch

ColonelBusch
Admin

Cramptholomew wrote:Next, use some meat glue!

Transglutaminase (Meat Glue) - RM Formula - 50g/2oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EIGV7MC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mFj7Cb42BDDMF

Is that how you put the pig together? Sometimes a whole pig costs more than the sum of its parts.

I saw a review of MooGlooGaiPan. The results really surprised the reviewers, but said the meat was more plain than an equally spiced roast. Question would be if you could spice the pieces before gluing. O/W it may not get to the parts that are encircled by glue

exchef

David,

If you are looking for a cut of meat that will just take to the Sous Vide, look for Picanha. It is very under rated here in the US and generally can be gotten for a good price.

For Sous Vide, I would trim the fat cap back to about 1/8”, let it go to your desired temp, rest and then finish in your air fryer to get a bit of outer sear on it. Normally, I slow roast this piece to about 110F internal, rest and then blast in a 500F oven to get that reverse sear on it.

ExChef

Cramptholomew

Cramptholomew

I love picanha. I rub it with salt And garlic and do it on a spit in my grill. I try to approximate a churrascaria.

ColonelBusch

ColonelBusch
Admin

Hey guys, one of my fave podcasts is three latinos from different nations doing Sous Vide. Like a Latin 3 Stooges, but they try it all. They are big on Picanha. I would have to order it from one of those online steak places.
I have had great luck with boneless short ribs at about half the price. However, as soon as I can get some Picanha locally, I'm there

Ronv69

Ronv69

Y'all should see the post sous vide steak I posted on the Patch! Well, maybe not, but I won't cook a steak or roast or fish any other way now.

Dramatwist

Dramatwist

...you guys are making my mouth water...

ColonelBusch

ColonelBusch
Admin

Why does all beef come out tender but my pork loin roast is like glued leather whether I use the four hours instructed or twenty hours? I do admit that had I gone on longer it might have become pulled porkish, but that was not my intention

Ronv69

Ronv69

I only use the sous vide for pulled pork. A pork roast IMHO is better just done in the oven if you want to slice it.
My wife wanted to sous vide some chicken hearts and gizzards tonight, but the instructions said 24 hours at 65c so she boiled them for 2 hours instead.

ColonelBusch

ColonelBusch
Admin

Ronv69 wrote:I only use the sous vide for pulled pork. A pork roast IMHO is better just done in the oven if you want to slice it.
My wife wanted to sous vide some chicken hearts and gizzards tonight, but the instructions said 24 hours at 65c so she boiled them for 2 hours instead.
Glad I am not alone  in my thinking on the pork. I may make a bunch of Pulled at some point.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum