The League of Pipers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The League of Pipers

All about Pipes, Tobacco, Places to buy

You are not connected. Please login or register

Marlin Flake

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Marlin Flake Empty Marlin Flake Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:34 pm

Chico

Chico

Is it supposed to be kind of sour, or is it just me? Never tried it before today.

2Marlin Flake Empty Re: Marlin Flake Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:37 pm

Dramatwist

Dramatwist

...I had that sensation, Chico... smoked a few bowls, and kept getting it... gave it away...

3Marlin Flake Empty Re: Marlin Flake Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:44 am

10Furlongs

10Furlongs

I have about ten tins in the cellar. It's my favorite of Rattray's big three but definitely requires some age to bring out the most in its flavors IMHO. I know after a couple years it takes on a slightly sweeter character. It does have some sweetness but none of their Virginia blends are as sweet as offerings of others. They use a variety of Virginia leaves and believe MF contains some slightly stoved Va which may contribute to the sourness you're experiencing. McClelland had a stoved bulk Va, #5120, which always tasted better to me in a cob because of its sour notes.

4Marlin Flake Empty Re: Marlin Flake Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:15 pm

Chico

Chico

Interesting that you consistently got the sourness, too Martin. I'll try a few more bowls. The sample I have is from 2008, Mark so not enough age is probably not the issue. I'll definitely try it in a cob, though. It sure looks and smells amazing in the bag.

So far Old Gowrie is far preferable - loved that one at first puff. Still need to try Hal o' the Wynd.

5Marlin Flake Empty Re: Marlin Flake Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Cramptholomew

Cramptholomew

I loved my first bowl of MF, but I can't remember which pipe I smoked it in! Subsequent bowls have not been quite as revelatory. I still like it though, but now I'm chasing that first bowl. I've yet to try Old Gowrie or HotW.

6Marlin Flake Empty Re: Marlin Flake Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:48 pm

Roadsdiverged

Roadsdiverged

Marlin Flake is one of my favorites. Walt gave me some that was 7 years old and it was excellent. I've smoked it fresh and I'll just say that time does this one a huge favor. I like it fresh, but I love it aged. The many tins I have wont even be opened for several more years, it sucks waiting, but it's worth it.

It makes a great 50/50 mix with 5100

7Marlin Flake Empty Re: Marlin Flake Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:18 am

Chico

Chico

Maybe I'll have my 2nd bowl tomorrow. The tobacco palate can be a fickle thing - one day I can love a blend, and another not so much.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum