The League of Pipers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The League of Pipers

All about Pipes, Tobacco, Places to buy

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary.

+4
Cramptholomew
Chico
10Furlongs
JimInks
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Empty Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:30 pm

JimInks

JimInks

I've been so busy today that I forgot to note that today is my 45th pipe smoking anniversary. I'm still doing my share of smoking, too! Smile

The time was 1;30 in the afternoon in 1974. My buddy Steve Parsons, who started me on pipe smoking, had a small still which was brewing his alcohol, and we were checking it about that time. The reason I remember the day is obvious. The reason I know the exact time is because I'm an infamous clock watcher, and when I lit up for the first time, I looked at my watch as I often do, and in this case, to record the moment so I could bitch Steve out if I hated it, which I obviously didn't. Btw, the tobacco he handed me was Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey, which was half decent in those days if you puffed slowly.

Steve wanted me to try the batch, and I said, "You are out of your freakin' mind, buddy. You made it, you try it." He wouldn't. He fed a sample to a mouse, and the mouse died. That ended the experiment. But, I was forever hooked on pipe smoking, and Steve, of course, quit after high school.

2Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Empty Re: Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:32 pm

10Furlongs

10Furlongs

Great story Jim. Prince Albert was my first tobacco. I did puff on a little Borkum Riff Bourbon in college in a Savinelli that's long gone but wish I still had. I was just goofing back in the day.

3Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Empty Re: Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:37 pm

Chico

Chico

You have about 40 years on me! Thanks for the story, and we're all glad you didn't drink that hooch.

4Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Empty Re: Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:51 pm

Cramptholomew

Cramptholomew

Congrats, Jim, and great story!

5Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Empty Re: Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:56 pm

Dramatwist

Dramatwist

Happy 45th, buddy! I have a few years on you, but still unable to review tobacco as well!

6Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Empty Re: Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:08 pm

exchef

JimInks wrote:I've been so busy today that I forgot to note that today is my 45th pipe smoking anniversary. I'm still doing my share of smoking, too! Smile

The time was 1;30 in the afternoon in 1974. My buddy Steve Parsons, who started me on pipe smoking, had a small still which was brewing his alcohol, and we were checking it about that time. The reason I remember the day is obvious. The reason I know the exact time is because I'm an infamous clock watcher, and when I lit up for the first time, I looked at my watch as I often do, and in this case, to record the moment so I could bitch Steve out if I hated it, which I obviously didn't. Btw, the tobacco he handed me was Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey, which was half decent in those days if you puffed slowly.

Steve wanted me to try the batch, and I said, "You are out of your freakin' mind, buddy. You made it, you try it." He wouldn't. He fed a sample to a mouse, and the mouse died. That ended the experiment. But, I was forever hooked on pipe smoking, and Steve, of course, quit after high school.

@jiminks

Happy anniversary!

ExChef

7Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Empty Re: Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:33 am

JimInks

JimInks

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. Much appreciated.

8Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Empty Re: Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:16 am

PhantomWolf

PhantomWolf

Fun story, Jim. Though not much fun for the mouse..

9Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Empty Re: Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:46 am

wolfman

wolfman

I think it’s time to change International Pipe Smoking Day to June 20th.

10Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Empty Re: Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:25 am

Cramptholomew

Cramptholomew

wolfman wrote:I think it’s time to change International Pipe Smoking Day to June 20th.  

+1

11Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Empty Re: Jim's 45th Pipe Smoking Anniversary. Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:22 pm

JimInks

JimInks

Oh gee!!!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum